Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mouth-Watering Strawberry Cake

Sometimes, you just need pink food.  Baby showers, afternoon tea parties, princess birthday parties, Valentine's Day....there are lots of occasions when it is not only appropriate, but mandatory.  A few months ago, one of my female cousins got married, and I helped to throw her a wedding shower.  Because the party was big, I did a huge cake sampler, with four types of cake (chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, and red velvet, if you want to know).  They were all popular, but the strawberry cake was the first to go.  It's just so pretty.

Here's the recipe, which I adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks

Mouth-Watering Strawberry Cake

Ingredients:
1 package plain white cake mix
1 three-ounce package of strawberry jello (use the real thing, not the sugar free kind)
4 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 extra large eggs (or whatever you've got)
1 cup finely chopped strawberries

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and place your oven rack in the center of the oven.  Grease your baking pans with baking spray or shortening and flour.

Then dump the cake mix into your mixer.



Then the Jello.


...and the flour...


...and the sugar...


...and everything else...


Chop up the strawberries and dump them in, too.



Mix on low for one minute and then scrape it down.  Then mix on medium for 2 minutes.


Divide the batter among your baking pans and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.   Make sure you rotate them halfway through the baking process. 


This will make enough batter for 3 eight-inch cake pans, so that you can have a three layer cake!

Try to get your layers more even than I did.


Mmmm...


Let them cool completely, then cut off the tops to level each layer.


See, it's pink!!


It's easy to find people willing to eat the scraps that you cut off...if you're willing to share them!



Then frost it with your favorite frosting, and eat it up!



Yum!



6 comments:

  1. YUMMY!! Your blog is my recipe box now!! HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good! Let me know of any special requests!!

      Delete
    2. Oh boy...you just opened up a floodgate! Also, how in the heck do you have time to do all this?!!! Superwoman mama!

      Delete
    3. Ha! Baking is my fun activity, and it's good for me to teach Ella how to do it, too! So what do you want me to feature? I'd love some suggestions!

      Delete
  2. Let's see....I would love to see what you do for kid's parties for school...something of that nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted! I'll do something for that very soon!

      Delete