Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Thai Chicken

Initially, I planned to focus only on sweet dessert recipes on this blog, but as I started working on different posts, I realized something.  I use sugar in all kinds of recipes - sweet and savory ones.  So why not share some of those on my blog, too?

A few months ago, we visited my husband's family in Washington DC, and his cousin hosted a dinner party for everyone where she served a delicious Thai chicken recipe.  It was delicious, and everyone who tasted it wanted the recipe!  Here it is:

Thai Chicken
4  6-ounce chicken breasts
2 tsp fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup green onion
1 cup red pepper
1 cup green pepper
4 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp dark sesame sauce
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin
Some other type of green vegetable - I used green beans, but I also use snap peas, broccoli, and other stuff sometimes.
4 lime wedges
3 cups basmati rice

First, cook the chicken, either on the grill or on the stovetop in a pan.  Set aside on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.


Slice the peppers into long, thin strips.


Grate the ginger and chop the garlic.


Pull out everything else you'll need...this recipe goes pretty quickly!


Here are my green beans!


Before you cook anything else, steam them for about 2-3 minutes and set them aside.


Now, heat a skillet to medium.  If you used the skillet to cook the chicken, it will be greased enough already, but if it is clean, spray it with cooking spray a little before you add your ginger and garlic.  Cook them for about a minute, but don't let the garlic burn.

Then, add the peppers and onion and cook for another minute.


Add your soy sauce, sugar, salt, cumin, sesame sauce, and curry.  Stir them up.


Then pour in your coconut milk.


Bring to a simmer, but don't boil.  Then add the chicken and remove from the heat.


Add the green beans (or other steamed vegetables).


Stir in cilantro and serve over rice.  Garnish with lime wedges.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I am such a bad cook! I need these recipes from someone I trust that knows what's good! I will definitely try this! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my only Thai recipe so far, but I'm hoping to find more. We LOVE it.

      Delete